Thread: New Board: Wax or not?

Default New Board: Wax or not?

I bought the new Promise board (148cm) recently because for college I'll be at the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, so the cadets there take skiing and snowboarding trips frequently on the weekends. I've skiied at least once a year since I was 6, but I've never snowboarded so I don't know too much about their upkeep. Do I need to wax it before I use it for the first time this winter? How often do you need to wax/tune it? I wakeboard, but you don't have to do as much upkeep with that. Thanks y'all!
    Haley
    Future USAFA Class of 2015

Default Re: New Board: Wax or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Falcon View Post
    I bought the new Promise board (148cm) recently because for college I'll be at the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, so the cadets there take skiing and snowboarding trips frequently on the weekends. I've skiied at least once a year since I was 6, but I've never snowboarded so I don't know too much about their upkeep. Do I need to wax it before I use it for the first time this winter? How often do you need to wax/tune it? I wakeboard, but you don't have to do as much upkeep with that. Thanks y'all!
    Hey welcome to snowboarding =D, your board will be factory waxed so you do not need to touch it, one of the great things about new boards. As far as waxing it, everyone has there own opinions on what they like to see, some people wax after every ride but for most people 6-12 days on the hills depending on how egressive you are and if you in a lot of ice or hitting rocks and other objects. Its good to wipe down your board after you ride to get the excess water off to help the edges from rusting/ and or corroding.
    2009 Ride Antic 154 w* Flow Flite 3 15 -5
    2010 Ride DH 153 w* 2010 Contrabands 15 -15
    2008 Rocky Mountain ETSX 30
    Kona Jake the Snake

LOTS of pics and video of stuff i do. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Robert...50090452380377

I always wax my new boards after unwrapping them because:

• Factory wax jobs aren't that great. They typically rub off pretty quick and you need to wax a couple of riding days in anyway.
    • I wax my boards pretty religiously and a bad wax job can make or break my day on the hill. I prefer to have my own wax job on the board to ensure that my board stays gliding all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Tidbit View Post
    I always wax my new boards after unwrapping them because:

• Factory wax jobs aren't that great. They typically rub off pretty quick and you need to wax a couple of riding days in anyway.
    • I wax my boards pretty religiously and a bad wax job can make or break my day on the hill. I prefer to have my own wax job on the board to ensure that my board stays gliding all day.
    haha all very valid points but you push your board pretty hard =D iv seen your videos, haha, and having the equipment skill and knowledge to wax your board makes it SO much easier to keep it up. =D have you thought about making a post as a sticky with the links to your tech videos? i am sure i will be searching for them soon =D
    2009 Ride Antic 154 w* Flow Flite 3 15 -5
    2010 Ride DH 153 w* 2010 Contrabands 15 -15
    2008 Rocky Mountain ETSX 30
    Kona Jake the Snake

LOTS of pics and video of stuff i do. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Robert...50090452380377

From what I've experienced, the factory wax is good for 1 or 2 days riding max. That being said, if you put a hot wax on before your first ride, it will be a bit quicker. I can get about 4 days out of a fresh hot wax, but even that's pushing it. I'll do it every couple days if I have the time and energy. FYI, the belt wax is almost worthless. You'll get about a half day in before it starts wearing off.

Remember to check your edges at the end of the day too. You can probably get through 10-20 days without an edge tune if your only riding groomers, but get into some rocky areas and it'll be a lot less. If you only hit the park it doesn't matter as much, some even de-tune it for boxes and rails.

Are you going to do your own wax/tune or are you taking it in? If your paying someone to do, it you might get more for your money if you ride it a couple days before getting it waxed. You'll see a bigger difference that way too.