Thread: Are Arcteryx gore-tex shell worth the money?

Default Are Arcteryx gore-tex shell worth the money?

$599 for the Alpha SV. I'm wondering if it's worth the money?

Default Re: Are Arcteryx gore-tex shell worth the money?

Arc'teryx makes some good stuff, but you can get the same quality/performace and a better fit from other brands for 1/2 the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Tidbit View Post
    Arc'teryx makes some good stuff, but you can get the same quality/performace and a better fit from other brands for 1/2 the price.
    Mr. Tidbit,

What are the other brands you have in mind?

Thanks in advance,

Quote Originally Posted by shortienolegs View Post
    Mr. Tidbit,

What are the other brands you have in mind?

Thanks in advance,
    You can get the same quality from CAPP3L, Higher end Ride Stuff, Burton AK, 686... But with a fit and articulation designed for snowboarders... not skiers and climbers.

Look at the waterproof ratings. Not all Gore-tex is created equal. Also Gore-tex is just a brand, it's not automatically better than a comparable coat without it. We use Stratta HD II on our higher end outerwear. The first number is waterproof ratings like 20K/15K, higher is better, then the second number is breath ability rating, higher is better. So typically outerwear is rated like this 20K/15K.

Strata HD II™ is a technically innovative dual-layer, micro-porous laminate and coating that wicks away moisture. It remains waterproof and breathable, even after numerous washings. The inner hydrophilic layer prevents condensation and allows moisture to travel to the outer layer, keeping you warm and dry. Strata HD II has a waterproof/breathable rating of 15K/10K, 20K/15K and is offered as a laminate or coating depending on fabric.
    USED BY:
    Genesee Insulated Jacket , Fairmont Insulated Pant , Ravenna Insulated Jacket , Admiral Jacket , Madison Insulated Jacket , Delridge Jacket , Seward Insulated Jacket , Capitol Insulated Jacket , Magnolia Insulated Jacket , Sodo Insulated Jacket , Magnolia Jacket , Beacon Insulated Cargo Pant , Rainier Jacket , Leschi Vented Pant , Georgetown Jacket , Georgetown Insulated Jacket , Belltown Cargo Pant , Westlake Pant , Newcastle Jacket , Edenberry Jacket , Wellington Jacket , Cambridge Jacket , Canterbury Jacket , Cambridge Insulated Jacket , Dublin Down Jacket , Windsor Down Jacket , Norwich Jacket , Kingston Jacket , Sutton Insulated Pant , Sutton Vented Pant , Wallingford Pant , Lennox Vented Pant
    DWR (DURABLE WATER REPELLENCY)
    DWR (Durable Water Repellency) fabric protection is an invisible water-repellent finish applied to the outer shell of every garment. Rather than soaking into the fibers, water beads up on the surface area and rolls off. Without DWR, your jacket and pant would feel like a wet dishrag no matter how expensive it was. DWR is used on all Ride and Cappel Outerwear.

I tend to disagree as I think the Gore-Tex (GTX) membrane is probably the best one out there. Otherwise, I don't see why all these other brands that have their own membranes would use GTX. Most brands use GTX in their higher end stuff instead of their proprietary membrane. I had a cheap GTX anorak and it lasted me a good 4 years and I was washing it regularly in the washing machine because I didn't know better, but the waterproofing still held up. In fact, only some patches on the arm finally wore out.

That being said, I don't think you need GTX to go snowboarding/skiing 90% of the time. Most people would never even notice the difference between GTX and something lower because you're not going to be in conditions that intense.

Arc Teryx does make great gear but no way will I spend that kind of money on a jacket. If u can get it at the end of the year for 40% or 50% off then maybe, but full retail no way. Like Buckwild says theres a lot of good jackets out there, I always wait for end of season for jackets, goggles and get them on sale. Thats one good thing about snowboard in theres always great sales at the end of the season.