Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ride 2011 Optimo Contraband Review

Default Ride 2011 Optimo Contraband Review

I got my first glimpse of the Optimo Contraband back at the begining of January when I was in Seattle and swung by the Ride office to say hi and take a little tour of the facilities. So, I was lucky as I immediately got to look at everything and play with it rather then just see it in a catalog.

I decided to ride this binding on every Ride board I took out at the Snowbasin demo and even threw them on a DC board since they didn't have any binders.

New features that I love!

*New Highback Rotation. It's simple easy to do and you can micro adjust it instead of just having three holes!

*New Tray. You can make every adjustment you need to the binding while it's attached to your board! So you can adjust the new AeroGrip V-Strap, heelcup/toe ramp adjustment without taking it off your board. But, you should spend some time getting it centered to your boot before you put it on your board and then make micro adjustments to the heelcup or toeramp after mounting.

*New Highback. Now, I've been riding the 11' Nitrane for 2 months now, which has the same highback as the Optimo. I was a bit skeptical when I first saw it but I absolutely love it. The new design allows the highback to torsionally flex from top to bottom (all the way down to the heelcup). When you rotate them to be parallel to your heelside edge and start pushing up them to turn hard and spin you notice a huge difference, but at the same time don't feel the highback at all.

*AeroGrip V-Strap. Super Easy to adjust and get centered on your boot. The new system is dialed and took me a matter of a couple of minutes in the tent to get dialed into my insanos.

*Micro Disc. The binding tray has a very reduced "foot print" including a smaller disc to improve flex under foot. I wouldn't say I noticed some MEGA difference in flex, but the tray is comfortable, damp and felt great on every deck I had it on.

This WILL be the binding I ride next season. It takes everything I love about the contraband series, improves upon the little complaints that some people have had and gives you a solid binding that will perform anywhere on the mountain. If you've been a fan of the contraband the last couple of seasons, you should upgrade. If you have been hesitant about getting on the contrabands thus far, now is the time to pull the trigger as the Optimo takes care of all those little things that have made you hesitant in jumping on them.

Feel free to fire off any questions you may have, as I'm sure you probably have them.
    Check out reviews and videos for all of the 2013-2014 Ride Gear on Shradtastic.com
    Follow me on: Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube

Default Re: Ride 2011 Optimo Contraband Review

Sounds great! My one complaint so far after only two days of using Contrabands has been adjustability. My first day they were not really sitting right, and it took quite the effort to refit them on the mountain.

How are the micro adjustments to the V-Strap made with the new tray? Do you still have to generally preset the strap from the underside as with previous Contrabands?

Is the heel back adjustment now done with - for lack of a better description - teeth and a screw clamp?

You adjust the V-Strap width on the side with a worm drive style screw. The length of the strap is done with a leather strap that is connected to the ankle strap. Very easy to loosen and length or shorten and locks into place. You can see it in this picture from the spoiler thread

The heelcup is adjusted by two screws at the bottom of the tray. If you look closely at this picture from the spoiler thread, by the person's fingers holding them you can see the screw.

Check out reviews and videos for all of the 2013-2014 Ride Gear on Shradtastic.com

How would you rate the flex in the new highback against the 2010 nitrane? i'm really stoked about it. i hope it's more freestyle oriented.

are there any pictures of the black optimos available?

Quote Originally Posted by ph1l View Post
    How would you rate the flex in the new highback against the 2010 nitrane? i'm really stoked about it. i hope it's more freestyle oriented.

are there any pictures of the black optimos available?
    If Buckwild says it's cool, I'll snap a picture from the catalog of the black.

As far as the flex of the highback, it's definitely a medium flex, but I've been riding it with the new Insano, which is a pretty stiff boot. The boots are broken in now and I would say comparing it to the 2010 Nitrane highback that the new stealth highback is softer torsionally, there is more play when you want to tweak it more. But the flex is the same leaning back on heelside turns as the 2010 nitrane... it doesn't fold back when you lean straight back on it. The shape is solid and is responsive when you need it to be.
    Last edited by Mr_Tidbit; 03-01-2010 at 12:53 PM.

awesome, just awesome

I forgot to post this up, here is a picture of Tidbit riding the Optimo on the 11' Machete. I'm sure she'll chime in soon and tell you what she thought of the bindings too.

Edit: For the ladies, she is also wearing the new 11' CAPP3L Sutton Down.

Last edited by Mr_Tidbit; 03-02-2010 at 07:59 AM.

can i see the different colors?

Here it is, Buckwild if this isn't cool let me know.
    Attached Images Attached Images

so what are the differences between this and the 11' Nitrane? price point, flex, response, the works.
    Drop bangers, not bombs.

Quote Originally Posted by circa93 View Post
    so what are the differences between this and the 11' Nitrane? price point, flex, response, the works.
    Highback and Ankle strap are the same, so the response is similar. The big difference is in the tray as there is a lot less metal then your average ride tray and you're going to get a more natural flex under foot and additional feel. It is also a ton easier to adjust and get dialed into your boots then the other contrabands.

any price points or is that to much info?
    Drop bangers, not bombs.

any price points or is that to much info?
    I don't remember the prices of the bindings

one more question, will the high back rotation be on all of ride's binders next year?
    Drop bangers, not bombs.

one more question, will the high back rotation be on all of ride's binders next year?
    Nope, only the bindings with the Stealth Highback (Optimo, Alpha, Nitrane & Delta).

nice, i really like the sound of that. dont get me wrong, i like union, but i really like this new idea of the stealth highback. did you get a chance to ride the delta?
    Drop bangers, not bombs.

nice, i really like the sound of that. dont get me wrong, i like union, but i really like this new idea of the stealth highback. did you get a chance to ride the delta?
    No, but my buddy JJ did, I'll post up the review that he sent me on them for you.

thanks
    Drop bangers, not bombs.

The suggested retail for these bindings is going to be around $399.00 USD. So all in all I am figuring it's gonna cost me about $1000.00 USD to re-up on a New Society and Optimo's.

Be Safe!
    I'll stay with Ride!
    2009 Ride Society (157), 2010 Ride Nitrane Contrabands
    2010 Forum Scheme (154W), 2010 Ride Contrabands
    2010 YES (156.6), 2010 Ride Contrabands
    2010 Ride FUL's Size 11.5

“If you don’t lose, you will eventually win.” Helio Gracie

I Ride 4 Kevin.
    http://www.kevinpearce.com
    http://twitter.com/Kevin_Pearce

so i am asuming that the nitranes are the new standard and optimo is the new nitrane? what is the differences between them iv been analyzing them but see no significant different other then a few visuals?

Quote Originally Posted by TopHatPlus View Post
    so i am asuming that the nitranes are the new standard and optimo is the new nitrane? what is the differences between them iv been analyzing them but see no significant different other then a few visuals?
    Did you not read the first post in this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Tidbit View Post
    Did you not read the first post in this thread?
    i did i see the little disc, and the aero v thinger, but its looks alot more plasticy and the velcro for the one strap? just doesn't seem like it will hold up that well and may come undone during more excessive riding. i do like the new nitranes though they look nice, is there no just regular for 2011 do they all have some sort of mesh connecting the v strap? just for curiosity i do like them though.

i did i see the little disc, and the aero v thinger, but its looks alot more plasticy and the velcro for the one strap? just doesn't seem like it will hold up that well and may come undone during more excessive riding. i do like the new nitranes though they look nice, is there no just regular for 2011 do they all have some sort of mesh connecting the v strap? just for curiosity i do like them though.
    That velcro strap uses the tension from tightening your ankle strap down to keep the V-Strap in place. It has a little metal clasp that you run it through and then back, kind of like a belt you wear with your baseball or football pants. The velcro is just there to hold the excess up, not the strap in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Mdrnsamurai View Post
    The suggested retail for these bindings is going to be around $399.00 USD. So all in all I am figuring it's gonna cost me about $1000.00 USD to re-up on a New Society and Optimo's.

Be Safe!
    Drop bangers, not bombs.

lol cost me 650 for my DH and contrabands >_< but i am loving the new nitranes

....another reason i love C3
    Drop bangers, not bombs.

lol cost me 650 for my DH and contrabands >_< but i am loving the new nitranes
    $455 Cdn + taxes for my '09 Society and '10 Contrabands. Gotta shop more seasonal clearance sales dude! SportingLife marked the Contrabands down to $150 from $250, and there's a 20% off clearance/sale items coupon, so I rebought them at $120 and return the new pair on the old receipt to pocket the difference.

Sanction is the best shop I've been to in the area as far as service goes (at least the Waterloo location, can't speak for the North York one), very nice selection too. I also shop at OW Sports (Waterloo), Meltdown (Kitchener), and Hogtown (downtown Toronto). Hogtown has the best stuff, but can be a bit expensive. Meltdown I just don't like their attitude when I go in. Lots of Nitro boards though. OW is alright, but it's all Burton, Salomon, and Atomic (good stuff, but not what I'm looking for most of the time).

I didn't dare go to the Corbett's winter clearance this weekend even though it was 50-90% off. That place is a zoo with meh selection. Never been to Hustler, even though it's just a few blocks from Corbett's.
    CoopersTroopers
    2009 Ride Society 157 + 2010 Ride Contraband
    2010 Sierra Crew LTD Animal Hybrid 156 + 2010 Union P.O.W. Data
    2010 Burton Ruler

Quote Originally Posted by CoopersTroopers View Post
    $455 Cdn + taxes for my '09 Society and '10 Contrabands. Gotta shop more seasonal clearance sales dude! SportingLife marked the Contrabands down to $150 from $250, and there's a 20% off clearance/sale items coupon, so I rebought them at $120 and return the new pair on the old receipt to pocket the difference.

Sanction is the best shop I've been to in the area as far as service goes (at least the Waterloo location, can't speak for the North York one), very nice selection too. I also shop at OW Sports (Waterloo), Meltdown (Kitchener), and Hogtown (downtown Toronto). Hogtown has the best stuff, but can be a bit expensive. Meltdown I just don't like their attitude when I go in. Lots of Nitro boards though. OW is alright, but it's all Burton, Salomon, and Atomic (good stuff, but not what I'm looking for most of the time).

I didn't dare go to the Corbett's winter clearance this weekend even though it was 50-90% off. That place is a zoo with meh selection. Never been to Hustler, even though it's just a few blocks from Corbett's.
    nice nice, i paid $399 for my 2010 DH and $125 for my 2010 contrabands so i really cannot complain, i bought them like 2 weeks ago as well. i concur for there selection it was all cheap cheap cheap, i was so disappointed with them i would never go back and iv never purchased anything there. hustler is awesome, the guys that work there are great they bend over backwards to help you out, i seen them sell a ride i believe a slackcountry it was the one with the fish on the front and said wish you were here on the abck to a guy who'd never been there for $350 and it was regular $800. i have never paid full price for anything and that includes shopping in november! they have a decent selection. there not very big though, i talked to the owner and he said hes the 5th largest ride dealer in canada, and most of his gear is ride. he also said he sells more ride then burton hands down which is wicked =D i am very happy with there service, they are right round the corner, corbetts is on speers and hustler is on kerr literally right around the corner on the left just before lakeshore. i recommend you go in and say bob taylor says hi =D

when the new nitranes hit store thats were im headed =D

I'll probably snag a pair of the Ride Optimos. I got a chance to see them in person at the Ride Shakedown and they are really nice. The price point is rough but I trust Ride to take care of me if anything wears out or is wrong with them.

I guess we shall see if I pull the trigger once dogfunk gets them in stock.

Those bindings look pretty trick.

Might just have to scoop those and mount um up on a new Highlife.