Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Ride DH2 - Review

Default 2011 Ride DH2 - Review

Those of you that have read my reviews and have seen my comments when people have asked about the 2010 DH2 that I was not a fan of that deck at all. I am happy to report that Ride has made some significant changes to the 2011 model that will make it a board I will ride next season.

The biggest change is the rocker design has changed from LowRize to Ride's new ProRize shape. ProRize is not as dramatic as LowRize, the board is completely flat and then the last part of the nose/tail is rockered up to get the contact points off of the ground.

The new ProRize carved amazingly well at Snowbasin. I took it on soft & Icy groomers and it carved exactly how I wanted it too, was stable when I pointed it down the steep stuff and held a great edge. We even found some sun baked pow and chop off of the John Paul lift and it plowed through the crud and the prorize rocker was just enough to help keep the nose up in the sun baked stuff.

The other change is the DH2 now has PopRod 2.0. Next year Ride will have PopRod 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0. The change with PopRods is there is now a layer of urethane sandwiched inbetween flat carbon fiber pieces. So now what you get is that crazy pop, but it's smoother and damper. I've been a fan of pop sticks, but the PopRods in the Society were a bit too much in my oppinion. The pop was great, but I could feel them in the nose and tail in certain situations that I didn't want too.

The new 2.0 PopRods in the DH2 are great. They are snappy, but not over the top, I didn't feel them when I was landing too far back on my tail like I had with the 2010 Society.

Everything else tech wise has stayed the same, but those two changes make this board a must have for the rider that loves to treat the entire mountain as a terrain park, is interested in rocker, but wants something that is stable, playful and still has some of the benefits you get from rocker.

10/10, Must have deck for 2011.

Feel Free to toss any questions you might have.
    Check out reviews and videos for all of the 2013-2014 Ride Gear on Shradtastic.com
    Follow me on: Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube

Default Re: 2011 Ride DH2 - Review

So how would you compare it to the 09/10 machete?

Would you say it has more pop and more flex, with less rocker?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Tidbit View Post
    The biggest change is the rocker design has changed from LowRize to Ride's new ProRize shape. ProRize is not as dramatic as LowRize, the board is completely flat and then the last part of the nose/tail is rockered up to get the contact points off of the ground.
    So is ProRize the Ride equivalent to K2's FlatLine? I've been eyeballing the Slayblade, but would like to see what else is out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Cbalke View Post
    So how would you compare it to the 09/10 machete?

Would you say it has more pop and more flex, with less rocker?
    More pop in the nose and tail, slightly stiffer overall with less rocker then the 2010 Machete. To clue you in, the 2011 Machete only has one change from the 2010, it's getting PopRod 1.0. So it's going to be snappier in the nose and tail, but other then that it's the same exact board.

Quote Originally Posted by CoopersTroopers View Post
    So is ProRize the Ride equivalent to K2's FlatLine? I've been eyeballing the Slayblade, but would like to see what else is out there.
    Somewhat... Flatline is flat all of the way through the contact points. ProRize will be flat but the last couple of inches of the board before the contact points will rocker up to get the contact points off the ground.

Slayblade is a great board, but think of having it without having to worry about catching your contact points, damper with PopRod 2.0 and 85a Slimewalls, Snappier in the nose and tail with PopRod 2.0 and CA5 (Carbon Array 5).

If you're thinking of getting the Slayblade, nab one up on sale. Next year it is exactly the same with a new graphic.
    Check out reviews and videos for all of the 2013-2014 Ride Gear on Shradtastic.com

Somewhat... Flatline is flat all of the way through the contact points. ProRize will be flat but the last couple of inches of the board before the contact points will rocker up to get the contact points off the ground.

Slayblade is a great board, but think of having it without having to worry about catching your contact points, damper with PopRod 2.0 and 85a Slimewalls, Snappier in the nose and tail with PopRod 2.0 and CA5 (Carbon Array 5).

If you're thinking of getting the Slayblade, nab one up on sale. Next year it is exactly the same with a new graphic.
    K2 offers something similiar to the ProRize. It is called the catch free rocker:

http://www.angrysnowboarder.com/wp-c...baseline01.jpg

as opposed to their jib rocker which is similiar to the lowrize rocker ride offers:

http://www.angrysnowboarder.com/wp-c...baseline02.jpg

whats the difference in pop rods 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0?
    Last edited by ph1l; 02-28-2010 at 03:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ph1l View Post
    K2 offers something similiar to the ProRize. It is called the catch free rocker:

as opposed to their jib rocker which is similiar to the lowrize rocker ride offers:

whats the difference in pop rods 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0?
    Their catch free rocker is marketed more towards beginners, right?

With the poprods, the higher the number the more urethane sandwiched in between the carbon fiber. The only deck that will have the 3.0 is the Society UL.

Their catch free rocker is marketed more towards beginners, right?
    yeah, saw that too, but nonetheless it seems like the same system. (from what i read in your review)
    maybe they believe once you get more into snowboarding you will choose either a jibrocker or a flatline board, but hey, thats just marketing talk after all.
    after reading your review, i want to ride that board too
    Last edited by ph1l; 03-01-2010 at 01:22 AM.

ProRise rocker is our response to what most of our team has been telling us about they're need for camber for locking into to backcountry booters and other highspeed run ins where you need lots of control. They wanted a large stable zone to land on. We wanted to still take some of the hook out from camber but still give the team what they asked for. ProRise was born from that.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by BuckWild View Post
    ProRise rocker is our response to what most of our team has been telling us about they're need for camber for locking into to backcountry booters and other highspeed run ins where you need lots of control. They wanted a large stable zone to land on. We wanted to still take some of the hook out from camber but still give the team what they asked for. ProRise was born from that.
    Cool tech sheets. What board(s) will use LowPro? Since the tip and tail will be differently shaped, is it safe to assume it will be in directional and/or twinish shapes?

The Highlife, Antic & Promise will all have LowPro next year and they are all Twinish decks.

Quote Originally Posted by ph1l View Post

I've been (unknowingly) riding a Catch-Free Rocker since I stopped renting/borrowing and bought my own snowboard earlier in the season and have been riding almost a dozen times (and already changed from Burton Custom bindings to Ride Contrabands for comfort and laziness! ). It's a K2 Fuse 155 (identical to a Brigade with different top/bottom sheets, I presume just made for specific markets). Interestingly, K2 marks it down as a camber board, even though their other product lit shows Catch-Free Rocker as being 95% flat. A little contradictory, but I guess it's just marketing speak at the end of the day.

I like the shape and the feel, especially after trying snowboarding on a few occasions over the last few years, renting or borrowing my brother's various camber boards and never really getting the hang of it. The slight rocker is very forgiving. I would probably be fine sticking with my board for another season or so, but am interested in upgrading since season end sales have already kicked off and good boards can be had for pretty cheap.

So with the Slayblade being Flatline (100% flat), would that be a step towards a more camber feel? Would I hook more? I'm largely doing all mountain freeride, but starting to hit small jumps and more powder.

I've also been considering an Antic, Machete, and DH2 (ok, I'll admit it was mostly for the plaid). With the Antic going LowPro next season, would it be better to wait (sale prices notwithstanding)? Any other changes?

The slayblade contact points can be a bit catchy until you detune them and get used to riding the board.

As far as the antic goes... if you're a die hard fan of camber, I would nab one up now. If you're interested in the lowPro, wait. I will be posting up a review on the LowPro from the Highlife sometime this week.

This sounds like the type of board I've been looking for. I'm currently on a 158 Slayblade and like the Flatline tech but would love to try something a bit less aggressive and more playful (but still stable when bombing groomers).

The only thing that concerns me about the 2011 DH2 is that the waist width will be too wide for me at 254 for a 159 sized board (assuming the specs stay similar to this year's). I wear a size 10 Forum boot, and will likely pick up some new Ride boots next year too, so a smaller overall foot print.

Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by bpblondie View Post
    This sounds like the type of board I've been looking for. I'm currently on a 158 Slayblade and like the Flatline tech but would love to try something a bit less aggressive and more playful (but still stable when bombing groomers).

The only thing that concerns me about the 2011 DH2 is that the waist width will be too wide for me at 254 for a 159 sized board (assuming the specs stay similar to this year's). I wear a size 10 Forum boot, and will likely pick up some new Ride boots next year too, so a smaller overall foot print.

Any thoughts?
    My catalog is at work, I'll check the specs when I get in, in the AM.

Yes, the waist width on the 2011 DH2 159 is 254mm.

Quote Originally Posted by CoopersTroopers View Post
    Cool tech sheets. What board(s) will use LowPro? Since the tip and tail will be differently shaped, is it safe to assume it will be in directional and/or twinish shapes?
    For LowPro Rocker the tip and the tail will have the same shape but different profiles. The front is LowRise Rocker and the back is ProRise Rocker (almost flat). So it is optimized to be directional on a twin shape, aka Twinish like Tidbit said.

The tip and tail are the same widths on our LowPro boards.

Here's the official LowPro catalog copy:
    Demanded by our Pros and designed for competition, this new shape has a long, stable flat zone for landing stability and pop. Built for going big and locking in landings without the fear of rocker washout.

Do you like '11 DH2 or Machete more Mr.Tidbit?

Quote Originally Posted by skip11 View Post
    Do you like '11 DH2 or Machete more Mr.Tidbit?
    2011 DH2 > 2011 Machete

Yes, the waist width on the 2011 DH2 159 is 254mm.
    So, what's the general rule of thumb for the whole waist width vs. boot sizing for a board?

I've been told that w/ my size 10s I'd want to stick to something close to 251 - would the 254 be too much? Slower edge to edge?

I know every boot Mfg is a little different in overall sizing and that a Ride boot will tend to be smaller than other companies boots.

Quote Originally Posted by bpblondie View Post
    So, what's the general rule of thumb for the whole waist width vs. boot sizing for a board?

I've been told that w/ my size 10s I'd want to stick to something close to 251 - would the 254 be too much? Slower edge to edge?

I know every boot Mfg is a little different in overall sizing and that a Ride boot will tend to be smaller than other companies boots.
    This, yet again, is a personal preference thing. I personally do not like boards that are wider then 25.2... But I have friends that have size 9 boots that love riding wide boards, so it just comes down to what you prefer. Your stance plays a big role too because you can squeeze into a narrow board with a wider stance with 15, -15 angles or more. (But you should never change these to fit, you should ride what's comfy).

If you want to go by the book without considering stance and have a rough estimate...

250 =10
    255 =11
    260 = 12

2011 DH2 > 2011 Machete
    OMG, You heard it here folks! Mr_Tidbit is like the Stig on Top Gear but for Ride. Or maybe like when the groundhog shows it's shadow and predicts an early spring.

Mr. Tidbit, what have you been riding more of the 2011 Machete or the DH2???

I gotta get some HighLife time... Frankie was killing it on that stick last weekend!

OMG, You heard it here folks! Mr_Tidbit is like the Stig on Top Gear but for Ride. Or maybe like when the groundhog shows it's shadow and predicts an early spring.

Mr. Tidbit, what have you been riding more of the 2011 Machete or the DH2???

I gotta get some HighLife time... Frankie was killing it on that stick last weekend!
    I've been riding my LE Machete with 11' Nitranes & Insanos... I only got to spend 2 days riding boards at snowbasin, But now that the DH2 carves well again, I plan on splitting my time between it and the Highlife. Looks like I'll get to take my Slackcountry out again tomorrow though since we got 17 inches last night and we're expecting another 10-20 the next 36 hours.
    Last edited by Mr_Tidbit; 06-14-2010 at 01:19 PM.

How hould you compare stiffness between DH 2008, DH2 2010 and DH2 2011 (if it is even comparable between camber and rocker boards)
    Thanx!

Close... the 08 DH had CA3 and no pop stix. The 10 & 11 DH2 have CA5 and Pop stix in them. So they'll be slightly stiffer overall and snappier in the nose and tail then the 08 DH.

(You guys are lucky that I never throw any of my old catalogs out)

But I have friends that have size 9 boots that love riding wide boards, so it just comes down to what you prefer.
    Size 9 on a wide board? Doesn't that leave a fairly large gap between the toe/heel and the edge of the board? What is the effect on the ride in that kind of setup; slower to turn, less leverage => less edge hold => have to work harder? It just seems less than ideal.

I'm curious because one of my local shops has but a lone 157W Machete left. I'd love it, but it just doesn't feel like the right size being 262 at the waist, compared to my current board at 249. Still up in the air over the 2009 Society (which just seems like more board than I can really handle, or that would be wasted on me for a while), a DH2 (which I know you didn't particularly like, and generally isn't seen as favourably as the Machete), or pouting in the corner waiting for next year's stuff.

It's very different in Utah... My friends that like wide boards do it because our snow stays soft and we're lucky enough to ride powder pretty frequently. So they like it for the extra float and wider platform to land on. I wouldn't suggest trying it outside of Utah.

The suggested retail is gonna be around $499.00 USD for the DH2 and $429.00 USD for the Machete.

Be safe!
    I'll stay with Ride!
    2009 Ride Society (157), 2010 Ride Nitrane Contrabands
    2010 Forum Scheme (154W), 2010 Ride Contrabands
    2010 YES (156.6), 2010 Ride Contrabands
    2010 Ride FUL's Size 11.5

“If you don’t lose, you will eventually win.” Helio Gracie

I Ride 4 Kevin.
    http://www.kevinpearce.com
    http://twitter.com/Kevin_Pearce

OMG, You heard it here folks!!
    I know, right? I had to ask him to double check that I read that right.
    has friends on pow days

Hi there
    Im having a hard time choosing between the 11 DH2 & 11 Machette i will buying one or the other in the next weeks

My style of riding is everywhere love carving power & hitting a few drops
    but also like hitting the park hitting a few boxs/rails and medium sized kickers with a fs360 as my biggest spin (so far)
    im a fairly crusy rider and equally happy mucking round in the park or powder

Machette -Lowrize, DH2-Prorize. hmmmmm?

Any help
    THanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dreded View Post
    Hi there
    Im having a hard time choosing between the 11 DH2 & 11 Machette i will buying one or the other in the next weeks
    As I understand it, Ride's 2011 snowboards won't hit the retail market until the fall, many months from now. Are you talking about buying one of the 2010 models?