Thread: DH2 vs. Machete

Default DH2 vs. Machete

Hello all. New to these forums, and found them when researching the DH2 and Machete. I live in Southeast PA (Philly Area). I mostly ride jfbb, and occasionally bear creek. I also take a trip to vermont almost every year and have been out to steamboat, CO. I weigh around 175 and and am about 5'9 and size 10 boots. I mostly stick my riding to the trails, but i like to hit natural jumps and terrain. Occasionally i pass through the park and hit a box or 2, but nothing crazy. I am capable of handling blacks and double blacks out west and here on the east coast with a challenge, but nothing i can't handle. Not sure what level rider this makes me. I currently ride a 156 agenda with LX bindings and am getting a new ride due to the typical wear and tear on my current set-up after 3 seasons.

So enough on me and on to the question. DH2 or Machete?

Im looking at either the 158 Machete and cannot decided between either the 157 or 159 if i go the Dh2 direction (leaning 159 for the record).

what do you experts think?

btw i am most likely going with the SPI bindings, unless you all have other suggestions?

Thanks,
    Brian

Default Re: DH2 vs. Machete

If you're going to be spending the majority of your time outside of the terrain park go with the Machete. I'm guessing you probably like to lay down some turns on those trails and the Machete carves much better then the DH2 does.

Thanks for the input. Btw love dogfunk/whiskey/brociety, i have a ridiculous amount of stuff from you guys.

my concern is that being an east coast rider, we rarely get good snow over here and smaller mountains, its tough to just ride the hill and not mess around with the little extras that each run provides. My concern is that i will be able to have more fun on the Dh2 and still have the performance that i want when i venture out of PA or when we get those rare good days over here.

Quote Originally Posted by bmp9422 View Post
    Thanks for the input. Btw love dogfunk/whiskey/brociety, i have a ridiculous amount of stuff from you guys.

my concern is that being an east coast rider, we rarely get good snow over here and smaller mountains, its tough to just ride the hill and not mess around with the little extras that each run provides. My concern is that i will be able to have more fun on the Dh2 and still have the performance that i want when i venture out of PA or when we get those rare good days over here.
    Thanks, glad to hear you're stoked on our sites.

Sounds like you're really looking for someone to push you towards the DH2... The DH2 is playful, fun on rails/boxes, pressing, spinning, etc... I found that it didn't carve very well when you really wanted to lay one down, but with some time getting used to the overall flex, sidecut and lowrize I'm sure you can adjust your riding style and dial in how it turns and make it work for you.

haha yea i feel like youre right. I really dont like the graphics on the machete and the exact opposite for the DH2. I'm also just a little concerned that with the small mountain size here i will just get bored with ripping tight turns and want to expand my riding style. A good friend of mine, who i ride with alot and have very similar riding style as has the original DH from 07-08 and he loves it. He rides it almost exclusively all mountain and actually keeps it at his house in Steamboat. I just feel that i may want something with a little more freestyle feel, but with the ability to shred the whole mountain. I realize that i have most all the info i will need to make this choice and its pretty much up to me now.

now if i go Dh2, ive heard that the smaller boards go a long way with the new ride models, so 157 or 159?

haha yea i feel like youre right. I really dont like the graphics on the machete and the exact opposite for the DH2. I'm also just a little concerned that with the small mountain size here i will just get bored with ripping tight turns and want to expand my riding style. A good friend of mine, who i ride with alot and have very similar riding style as has the original DH from 07-08 and he loves it. He rides it almost exclusively all mountain and actually keeps it at his house in Steamboat. I just feel that i may want something with a little more freestyle feel, but with the ability to shred the whole mountain. I realize that i have most all the info i will need to make this choice and its pretty much up to me now.

now if i go Dh2, ive heard that the smaller boards go a long way with the new ride models, so 157 or 159?
    You just described the Machete.....

Just to let you know too... your buddies DH is nothing like the DH2. It's softer, not as responsive, regular camber as opposed to rocker. The DH is built for a rider that likes to ride the entire mountain like a terrain park and prefers that medium flex and doesn't want rocker.

Alright, thanks alot for the input

One last question. Anyone feel free to chime in.

Am i going to be able to feel a noticeable difference between a 157, 158, and 159?

like i said i ride alot of mountain but definitely want the ability to be comfortable in the park with boxes and kickers and also to have some fun with natural stuff on the trails. Ive heard that its going to be difficult for me to find the machete and if i do go settle with the DH2, 57 or 59? ive also heard rocker boards ride smaller? cant remember where i read that though.

any input is appreciated.

i agree with tidbit here. you really sound like ud like the machete better. buying a board cause u like the graphic is probably the dumbest mistake you can make. but buy what ur stoked on i geuss.

as for your sizing question, i would go with the 157. i ride Ohio and what u describe is how i have to ride. finding all the mini-shreds and small rollers just to extend the ride and amuse yourself. i find that a smaller board is much more fun for riding like this. fun to whip around and easier to ride, especially with rocker. if i was in a normal mountain setting where the runs were longer id ride a 159 but i ride a 155/156. so i think ud like the 157 better. but id still really urge you to take another look at the machete.
    Drop bangers, not bombs.

thanks for your opinion. a member pmed me with a link to the 158 machete ltd and it seems to be exactly what im looking for. i think im gona go with that

don't mean to bring and old thread back to life, but i finally got my board and bindings and set it up. Went with the 158 LE Machete and was torn between Burton Cartels and Ride deltas for the bindings. I ended up with the cartels an an effort to keep my board as light as possible and have rode them on a friends board and liked them. I know im probably going to get input on why i should have went with the delts, but i'm going to give burton a shot here. Plus i have burton boots and my old LX bindings fit very awkwardly with them.

so without further ado, here is a picture of the new setup (Btw i dont ride goofy, the picture was taken on my macbook so its inverted):

These pictures are a couple of seasons old, but not too much has changed with either binding that would change the weight drastically.

Cartel - 1.75 lbs

Beta, which is basically what the Delta is now. 1.80 lbs

It's a difference of 0.05 lbs per binding... I bet your wallet weighs more then that.

by no means was the weight a deciding factor in my decision.

by no means was the weight a deciding factor in my decision.
    I just hate it when the Burton Fanboys still cling on to the metal is heavier argument, which is why I went back and took the pictures. It's like they haven't even touched a Ride binding in the last 8 years when they use it.

understandable. i have ride bindings though and i understand this. I used a friend of mine's cartels and i really liked the toe strap on them and all i ever ride is Ride so i decided to give burton a shot. Plus the cartels fit my boots better than my rides do, and since i just got my boots last season, i'm not ready to go in on new boots yet.