Thread: Own a 2011 DH2 - want something softer yet still stable.

Default Own a 2011 DH2 - want something softer yet still stable.

Hey - I currently ride a 2011 155 DH2 and also own a 2009 155 DH. Picked up the DH2 primarily because of the rocker but also find it to be more "lively" than the DH which feels a little "dead" IMO. Besides cruising the usual I'm mostly into ground tricks outside of the park and small/medium jumps in the park these days so I'm looking for a board that's easier to butter - I can definitely do it on the DH2 but it's a workout. My primary goal is to get a board that is easy to press and still stable enough to charge the mountain. That being said, I'm leaning towards the Machete, Kink, and Crush (in that order) at 155 (I'm 5'11" and 160). Any advice from those with experience on these boards is welcome. I know it's all subjective, but I'd like to hear it anyway - especially in comparison to a DH2.

To give some background, I've also owned a 152 Capita Stairmaster which I thought was great for boxes and such but horrible for bombing down a mountain - as well as various other all-mountain Rides that are too stiff for what I'm into these days (159 Prophet, 159 Timeless). I live in Colorado and get about 30-40 days a year at the local resorts. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Own a 2011 DH2 - want something softer yet still stable.

I would suggest the Machete... You get Carbon Array and Poprods like the DH2, but they are toned down (CA3 instead of CA5 and Poprod 1.0 instead of PopRod 2.0). You get a softer overall flex and the lowrize rocker shape so that you will get the play you're looking for. But by having the carbon array and the poprods you'll still be able to load up the nose and tail and get the pop you want when you need it.

The Crush and Kink are great decks, but they lack the pop that it sounds like you want since neither has any carbon or poprods.
    Check out reviews and videos for all of the 2013-2014 Ride Gear on Shradtastic.com
    Follow me on: Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube

Hi--I'm piggy backing off Med703's post. I'm in a similar situation and spend almost 70% of my time charging the piste (hit 85 kph last week) and mucking around on groomers and 20% in the park on small jumps and boxes.
    I want to get a mid flex playful board and having read Med's post about the DH2, i think the 2012/2013 deck's going to be too stiff for what I want.
    I was looking at the 2012/2013 Machete and Buck Wild, both similar flex patterns and rocker profiles however I was wondering which one of the decks carves and holds an edge better. I only spend 1 or 2 weeks a year in the french alps where conditions can be seriously mixed so I'm looking for a versatile board which can handle light pow but also hard pack and ice.
    what are your thoughts?

The Buckwild is more Stable IMO out of those two decks since it has less rocker in the nose and tail. I haven't had a chance to put together a full write up on the 13 DH2 yet, but you are correct... the new Popwalls really give it a different overall flex, especially torsionally in my experience. The Buckwild & Machete are unchanged tech wise for 2013, so you might see if you can find a 2012 model on sale right now.
    Check out reviews and videos for all of the 2013-2014 Ride Gear on Shradtastic.com

Thanks for the reply. So the Buckwild, being a more stable board, would carve better than the Machete on hard pack? If that's the case, will hold out for the new deck in the Autunm as the 2012/2013 graphics are sick!!!

I like them both and they both do carve well... But it comes down to preference and how much of a loose feeling you want as you carve and bring the board up to speed.

Edit:

If you haven't seen them yet, here are videos for the boards.

Buckwild

Machete
    Last edited by Mr_Tidbit; 03-14-2012 at 11:55 AM.

Thanks for the thoughts - my first choice was the Machete and I'll most likely pick one up shortly as the prices are going down. Hopefully I can get a few days in before the end of the season on one. Unfortunately you can't demo one cheaply around here, so it doesn't really pay to spend $50 on one day if you can pick one up for $300 or less. I'm betting (hoping) all the extra work put in on the DH2 will pay off on my butters on a slightly flexier board.

By the way, Uncle Vince, if you're not looking to do a lot of presses, the DH2 is a pretty killer board. It's great for jumps and cruising fast 'cause it's super stable, responsive, light, and just kills the chatter. Real easy to throw around if you like to rotate from the ground. I did notice that I would occassionally get spun around if I was hauling through hard pack/borderline ice and tried to lay into it too much. I couldn't quite figure out how to tame that (though it may be the edges have dulled since I didn't notice it til the latter part of the season). Otherwise, it's a sick stick. However, I can't comment on the other boards you're looking at, so not sure what the subtleties are there.

im going to piggy back on the as well actually - good thread!

im similar in that i like riding a bit of anything. need a board that is soft enough to butter and press, poppy enough for small/medium jumps, but won't be totally useless cruising groomers or very occasionally in pow.

at the moment im riding an endeavor guerilla from 2010. im a fan of its mid flex but want something slightly more park focused and with twin shape and flex, and less of the twitch i hey from full camber. im thinking buckwild, but all the description talks about is park park park.

any thoughts much appreciated!

The Machete is what you should look at, check out this video review, it should answer all of your questions.