Thread: Utah Family Vacation Help

Default Utah Family Vacation Help

Going to Utah Dec 30 - Jan 5. Going with the wife and 2 daughters (9 and 12). We are staying at the Canyons Grand Summit (ski-in, out; full service). Thought it would be good for the kids having the nice outdoor pool, full service accommodations, ski-in/out so we have the option to come in for lunch, etc. We are NOT locked in to snowboarding there every day.

A few questions for those of you from that area:

1. Where would you recommend is a great place to board (freeride) with the family out there? Smaller lines, family friendly, not too extreme, etc. Preferably not too far from Canyons as we don't want to drive a ton.

2. What do you think of the Canyons mountain for family freeride boarding (we don't do parks, etc.)?

3. What place do you think has the best kid snowboarding/ski school?

Thanks in advance

Default Re: Utah Family Vacation Help

You're in luck this season... For the first time the UTA is running bus service from Salt Lake to Park City. So if you don't have a rental car you can actually get down from Park City if you want to try another resort.

But... In Park City you have Canyons and Park City Mountain Resort for boarding and that's it. If you want to go somewhere else like Brighton, Solitude or Snowbird you have to go down Parley's and then back up Big or little cottonwood canyon. Which will take you an hour to hour and a half depending on traffic.

Brighton is a great place to bring families, I would avoid Snowbird as they don't have much beginner/intermediate terrain. Solitude is good, but they have a lot of flat spots and if you don't know the mountain you can get stuck and spend 10 mins walking to a spot to get speed again.

As far as schools, I think the last time I read something about them Brighton and Canyons have two of the better schools of any of the resorts in Utah.

Thanks Mr. T

I hope your trip to utah was awesome I myself just moved to utah and have been finding so many things to do it makes my head hert thinking about what i want to do tomarrow just so you know for future reference Utah Things To Do has been a awesome site and helped me find activities alot of things around Utah.